Friday, November 5, 2010

Carter is here!

 

 Carter William was born November 2nd at 3:15 pm.  While trying to clean him up the nurses noticed that is very difficult to suction out the fluid he had swallowed.  When looking at the back of his throat there was a very small opening in the back.  They were very concerned that he wasn't going to get enough oxygen and be able to eat.  So they whisked him away from me to the nursery to make sure he was going to be okay.  Once they pediatrician looked at him they discovered that he actual has a cleft pallet.  It's only on the soft pallet and in the very back.  Well the hospital we were at did not have the equipment and to take care of him so they decided to transport him to Primary Childrens.  I was very lucky to be able to hold him and see him before they took him by ambulance.  Here is a picture of him before they took him away.  

 
It looks a really scary but he was just being monitored and nothing else.  He was breathing well on his own and happy as a clam.  Once he was there the nurse called me to let me know that he had arrived safe and to ask me if it was okay to give him a bottle.  I said of course because of if he's eating he's getting better.

 
He ate really good and
 they gave him a bath.  He loved having his hair washed!!!  What a handsome boy I've got!  So I was released the next day from my hospital and I went as fast as I could to Primary's.  I felt so much better once I was there with Carter.  They had given me a sleeping pill to help me sleep the night before, great idea or I probably would have not slept.

Carter will have to a surgery to fix the cleft pallet but only one! This was fantastic news!  He will need to do speak therapy but in all it's the best case scenario for a cleft pallet.  As long as he is gaining weight and eating good we won't have to do the surgery until he's around 8 months. 
 
Carter got a new hat from my mother in-law.  Graydon was very excited can you guess why?

 

We even got to spend some time with him while he was awake.  He has beautiful eyes!

 
And the best part of all was he finally got to miss his big sister!!  Kayla was super excited.  She would hold him a little bit then let someone else hold him then she would hold him again.  She couldn't hold still.  Then me and Graydon took her to dinner in the cafeteria, just us.  She really enjoyed that.  She just loves her little brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment